Public Housing

Home/Public Housing
Public Housing2017-06-05T11:11:35-04:00

Our Public Housing Program provides affordable rental housing for eligible low-income families, the elderly, and persons with disabilities through assistance from the US Department of Housing and Urban Development.  We have 786 public housing units and 17 developments under management, serving nearly 2,000 residents in our seven-county service area of Aiken, Allendale, Bamberg, Barnwell, Berkeley, Jasper and Orangeburg.  These units include single-family homes, apartments and townhouses, with bedroom sizes ranging from one to as many as five bedrooms.

Do you Qualify?

There are four eligibility requirements that must be met before an applicant is accepted into the Public Housing program; all applicants are required to undergo a criminal background screening.

  • Annual gross income must be within income limits
  • Applicant must be suitable for housing in accordance with HUD requirements
  • Citizenship or eligible immigrant status must be met
  • Required consent documents must be signed


How long can I stay in public housing?2017-06-17T01:10:53-04:00

There is no limitation on the time that you can stay in public housing as long as you abide by the lease and still quality for housing.

What is the role of the HA?2017-06-17T01:10:18-04:00

SCRHA3 is responsible for the management and operation of its local public housing program ensuring compliance with all HUD regulations as well as local and state laws.  SCRHA3 is also responsible for maintaining all units in a safe and decent manner.

Who is eligible?2017-06-17T01:05:11-04:00

Public housing is limited to low-income families and individuals. Eligibility is based on: 1) annual gross income; 2) whether you qualify as elderly, a person with a disability, or as a family; and 3) U.S. citizenship or eligible immigration status.

What is public housing?2012-11-27T14:44:54-05:00

Public housing was established to provide decent and safe rental housing for eligible low-income families, the elderly, and persons with disabilities. Public housing comes in all sizes and types, from scattered single family houses to high-rise apartments for elderly families. There are approximately 1.2 million households living in public housing units, managed by some 3,300 HAs. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) administers Federal aid to local housing agencies (HAs) that manage the housing for low-income residents at rents they can afford.

If my application is denied what options are available?2017-06-17T01:12:47-04:00

If your application is denied, you will receive written notice of the denial detailing the reason for denial.  This notice will also inform you of your right to appeal this decision and what steps that you need to take.

Will I have to sign a lease?2017-06-17T01:08:20-04:00


Will I need to produce any documentation?2017-06-17T01:07:17-04:00

Yes.  At a minimum the following documentation will be requested:

  1. Birth Certificates of all household members
  2. Social Security Cards of all household members
  3. Release of information consent forms in order to verify all information provided on the application or obtained during the interview process. (Ex. Income verification, Asset verification, Student Status, Landlord References, etc)

I t will also be requested that you completed several forms that are required by HUD along with forms required by SCRHA3.

How does the application process work?2017-06-17T01:06:35-04:00

Everyone is required to complete a written application. (If necessary, you can request that SCRHA3 assist you in the completion of your application.) The following is a list of information that you will need in order to complete the application:

(1) Names of all persons who would be living in the unit, their sex, date of birth, and relationship to the family head;

(2) Your present address and telephone number;

(3) Be prepared to tell us about your current housing situation (homeless, substandard, working family, etc.).  You may be asked to provide documentation in order to qualify you for a housing preference;

(4) Names and addresses of your current and previous landlords

(5) An estimate of your family’s anticipated income for the next twelve months and the sources of that income;

(6) The names and addresses of employers, banks, and any other income source

(7) SCRHA3 reserves the right to conduct a home visit also..

How do I apply?2017-06-17T01:05:52-04:00

Download an application here.

Applications can be completed at the following locations or you can call 803-259-4600 to have an application mailed to you.

Fairfax Union Apartments 1545 Union Ave., Fairfax, SC 29817
Denmark ABC Apartments 40 Generette Ct., Denmark, SC 29042
Blackville Beaver Dam Apartments 134 Beaver Dam St., Blackville, SC 29817
Salley Apartments 255 Poplar Street Apt. 21, Salley, SC 29137
Wagener-Oakwood Apartments 136 Seivern Rd. Wagener, SC 29164
Williston-Lincoln Park Apartments 113 Lincoln Park (121 Windsor Road), Williston, SC 29853
Barnwell Litchfield Apartments 262 Litchfield St., Barnwell, SC 29812
Branchville Turnkey Apartments 110 Hutto St., Branchville, SC 29432
Orangeburg Saint Paul Apartments 500 Fletcher St., Orangeburg, SC 29116
Francis Villa Apartments 179 Bradley Rd., Moncks Corner, SC 29461
St. Stephens Apartments 1069 Russellville Rd., St. Stephens, SC 29479
Hardeeville Apartments 188 Walsh Dr., Hardeeville, SC 29927
Marshall Apartments 1727 Fred St., Orangeburg, SC 29118
Santee Apartments 180 Cantey Dr. Apt. 201, Santee, SC 29142
How is a security deposit determined?2017-06-17T01:11:57-04:00

Security Deposits are based upon income with $50 being the minimum security deposit.  In determining the amount of security deposit to be paid the same formula is used that is used for calculating rent.  However, your security deposit is equal to the amount of monthly rent before you subtract the HUD approved utility allowance.


(Annual gross income – HUD approved deduction) / 12 x 30%=Security Deposit

Are there any selection preferences?2017-06-17T01:08:45-04:00


Definitions of Preferences:

  1. Applicants with an adult family member enrolled in an employment training program, currently working twenty or more hours a week or attending school on a full time basis. This preference is also extended equally to all elderly families and all families whose head of household or spouse is receiving income based on their inability to work or actively enrolled in the Family Independence (FI) Program through Department of Social Services.
  2. Involuntary Displaced. Individuals or families displaced by government action or whose dwelling has been extensively damaged or destroyed as a result of a disaster declared or otherwise formally recognized pursuant to Federal Disaster Relief Laws.
  3. Individuals or families living in substandard housing.
  4. Applicants paying more than 50% of income for rent and utilities.
When will I be notified?2017-06-17T01:07:56-04:00

If you are deemed ineligible, you will be notified as soon as the determination is made.  You will receive a letter informing you why it was determined that your application was ineligible.  At that time, you will have the right to appeal this decision.

If your application is deemed eligible, you will be notified as soon as a unit is available.  This time period varies from a couple of weeks to years depending on the availability of units and your position on the waiting list.

*Typically a decision is not made in regards to eligibility until SCRHA3 is ready to offer a unit.

What is the difference between income based rent and flat rent?2017-06-17T01:16:36-04:00

An income-based rent is a tenant rent that is based on the family’s income and the PHA’s rent policies for determination of such rent. A PHA’s rent policies may specify that the PHA will use a percentage of family income or some other reasonable system. In no case, may the income-based rent exceed the total tenant payment (TTP) for the family minus any applicable utility allowance for tenant-paid utilities.

Flat rents are based on the market rent charged for comparable units in the private unassisted rental market. It is equal to the estimated rent for which the PHA could promptly lease the unit. The flat rent is designed to encourage self-sufficiency and to avoid creating disincentives for continued residency by families who are attempting to become economically self-sufficient.

What is the Earned Income Disallowance (EID)?2017-06-17T01:13:54-04:00

The earned income disallowance (EID) is an incentive to encourage current public housing residents to become self-sufficient (no longer dependent on government aid).  This incentive allows qualified tenants to not count a portion of income for a total of 12 months.  In order to qualify for EID one of the following events must occur while a tenant lives in public housing (it could not have happened prior to move in.)

  • Employment of a family member who was previously unemployed for one or more years prior to employment.
  • Increased earnings by a family member during participation in any economic self-sufficiency or other training program.
  • New employment or increased earnings of a family member during or within 6 months after receiving assistance, benefits, or services under any state program for temporary assistance (TANF, Welfare-to-Work).
How is income verified?2017-06-17T01:11:25-04:00

Income is verified through the use of the Enterprise Income Verification system and third party verifications.

How is rent determined?2017-06-17T01:09:45-04:00

Rent is based upon your income.  HUD has established a formula for determining the exact amount of your rent, however, rent is typically 30% of your annual gross income minus a HUD approved utility allowance and any HUD approved deductions.  However, there is a $50 minimum rent.


(Annual gross income – HUD approved deduction) / 12 x 30%-HUD approved utility allowance=monthly rent

How do I handle maintenance issues?2017-06-17T01:20:37-04:00

All maintenance issues need to be reported to the property manager for proper processing.  Any emergency after hour maintenance issues must be reported by using your sites emergency number. The items listed below are the only incidents that the maintenance department will respond to after normal work hours, including weekends and holidays:  Fire, broken water line (which cannot be cut off), stopped up main sewer line or commode (if only one in unit) doesn’t include bath tub, kitchen sink, or washing machine, no heat in unit (if outside temperature is below 50 degrees, range should not be used as a source of heat), Cannot shut and/or secure front or rear entry doors, total loss of electrical power in unit (weekends only), gas leak inside or outside unit, totally non-working water heater, refrigerator, or range (weekends only), other calls may be acceptable if they are life threatening,  and hazardous to health of resident or causing damage to property inside/outside the unit

What is the payment timeline for rent and other charges?2017-06-17T01:19:42-04:00

If the family fails to pay their rent by the fifth day of the month, and the PHA has not agreed to accept payment at a later date, a 14 day Notice to Vacate will be issued to the resident for failure to pay rent, demanding payment in full or the surrender of the premises.

In addition, if the resident fails to make payment by the end of office hours on the fifth day of the month, a late fee of $25.00 will be charged. Notices of late fees will be in accordance with requirements regarding notices of adverse action. Charges are due and payable 14 calendar days after billing. If the family requests a grievance hearing within the required timeframe, the PHA may not take action for nonpayment of the fee until the conclusion of the grievance process. If the resident can document financial hardship, the late fee may be waived on a case-by-case basis.

A resident may make partial payments as long as the bill is paid in full by the due date.

What is the purpose of a security deposit and do you get it back?2017-06-17T01:18:48-04:00

Within 30 days of move-out, the PHA will refund to the resident the amount of the security deposit (excluding interest earned on the security deposit), less any amount needed to pay the cost of unpaid rent, damages listed on the move-out inspection report that exceed normal wear and tear, and other charges due under the lease.

The PHA will provide the resident with a written list of any charges against the security deposit within 30 business days of the move-out inspection. If the resident disagrees with the amount charged, the PHA will provide a meeting to discuss the charges.

When is the rent due?2017-06-17T01:18:09-04:00

The tenant rent is due and payable at the PHA-designated location on the first of every month. If the first falls on a weekend or holiday, the rent is due and payable on the first business day thereafter.

If I owe maintenance fees how long do I have to pay them?2017-06-17T01:17:36-04:00

When applicable, families will be charged for maintenance and/or damages according to the PHA’s current schedule. Work that is not covered in the schedule will be charged based on the actual cost of labor and materials to make needed repairs (including overtime, if applicable).

Notices of maintenance and damage charges will be mailed monthly and will be in accordance with requirements regarding notices of adverse actions. Charges are due and payable 14 calendar days after billing. If the family requests a grievance hearing within the required timeframe, the PHA may not take action for nonpayment of the charges until the conclusion of the grievance process.

Nonpayment of maintenance and damage charges is a violation of the lease and is grounds for eviction.

Am I allowed to transfer to another unit?2017-06-17T01:17:03-04:00

Yes.  Residents requesting a transfer to another unit or development will be required to submit a written request for transfer.

In case of a reasonable accommodation transfer, the PHA will encourage the resident to make the request in writing using a reasonable accommodation request form. However, the PHA will consider the transfer request any time the resident indicates that an accommodation is needed whether or not a formal written request is submitted.

The PHA will respond by approving the transfer and putting the family on the transfer list, by denying the transfer, or by requiring more information or documentation from the family.

If the family does not meet the “good record” requirements under Section 12-III.C., the manager will address the problem and, until resolved, the request for transfer will be denied.

Who is considered an overnight guest and how many days are they allowed to stay?2017-06-17T01:16:12-04:00

Anyone other than those persons listed on the lease that stays overnight is considered an overnight guest.

All resident families must notify the PHA management prior to the event when, an overnight guest will be staying in the unit.  The resident must complete a visitation form and be approved prior to the visitation. A guest can remain in the unit no longer than 14 consecutive or cumulative days during any 12 month period.  The twelve month period begins on the effective day of their re-exam date.  There will be one set of fourteen-day visitation allowed per re-exam year with written permission from management.

A family may request an exception to this policy for valid reasons (e.g., care of a relative recovering from a medical procedure expected to last 20 consecutive days). An exception will not be made unless the family can identify and provide documentation of the need and to what residence the guest will return.

An overnight guest must meet basic occupancy requirements (e.g., registered sex offender, a fleeing felon, and/or a previously evicted public housing resident will not be considered).

The resident is responsible for the guest’s action(s) while the guest(s) is on the apartment complexes’ property.

Does public housing allow pets?2017-06-17T01:15:23-04:00

Yes but pets must be registered with the PHA before they are brought onto the premises.

Registration includes documentation signed by a licensed veterinarian or state/local authority that the pet has received all inoculations required by state or local law, and that the pet has no communicable disease(s) and is pest-free. This registration must be renewed annually and will be coordinated with the annual reexamination date.

Pets will not be approved to reside in a unit until completion of the registration requirements.

Pet owners are required to pay a pet deposit in addition to any other required deposits. The amount of the deposit is $150.00, and must be paid in full before the pet is brought on the premises.

The PHA requires pet owners to pay a non-refundable nominal pet fee of $100.00.

How often will my unit be inspected?2017-06-17T01:14:53-04:00

A move in inspection will be conducted.  After move in, at a minimum, inspections will be conducted annually.  However, based upon the needs of the property, SCRHA3 reserves the right to inspect your unit in addition to the annual inspection.  You will be given notice before any inspection occurs.

What do I need to do if my income changes?2017-06-17T01:14:22-04:00

You must report any and all changes to your income or household composition to your property manager.  At that time, you and your property manager will determine if it is necessary to perform an adjustment.

Go to Top